Monday, January 11, 2016

Hot Tramp, I Love You So: The Films Of David Bowie

The news of David Bowie’s sad passing early this morning inspired me to draw this portrait in Adobe Illustrator, based on my favorite album cover, Low.

There’s nothing I can say about the late, great David Bowie, 1947-2016, that hasn’t been said before by far more eloquent writers than myself.  All I can tell you is that he had a profound effect on my artistic development, and that Rebel Rebel and Heroes were among the first songs I learned to play on guitar, and continue to play to this day.  I always admired his alien, otherworldly presence, transcended and enhanced by his many reinventions and ch-ch-ch-changes, and was continually inspired by his music, artistry and life.  His presence on this planet will be missed, and I can’t think of a better personal tribute than to share a selection of his films with you.

 The Man Who Fell to Earth, 1976  Directed by Nicolas Roeg, this is classic Thin White Duke Bowie as Thomas Jerome Newton an alien attempting to save his planet from a catastrophic drought.  It’s also one of my favorite movie posters of all time, and the cover of his album Low (1977).
Just A Gigolo, 1978  David Bowie, Kim Novak and Marlene Dietrich in Berlin right before WWII
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, 1983  Bowie plays a British POW in a Japanese camp.  Also a great soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto.
The Hunger, 1983  Fantastic vampire movie starring Bowie, Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon.
Labyrinth, 1986  David Bowie as the Goblin King: Dance, Magic, Dance.
The Last Temptation of Christ, 1988  Bowie cameo as Pontius Pilate.
Twin Peaks: Fire, Walk With Me, 1992 Another Bowie cameo as an FBI agent, in a slouchy 80's pastel suit.
Basquiat, 1996  Supercool Bowie cameo as Andy Warhol.

Zoolander, 2001 Bowie cameo as himself, making fun of his image as the arbiter of an underground dance-off.


I said that time may change me,
but I can't trace time....