Monday, December 26, 2016

The Maze Isn’t For You, or Collected Thoughts on Westworld

Westworld was easily my favorite TV series of 2016.  I have to admit I was prepared to dismiss it, given my automatic hatred of remakes despite John Carpenter’s The Thing (1982) being in my top five and how much I love the Battlestar Galactica reboot.  In fact, I could write a whole post comparing the Cylons and the Hosts, although that might be too nerdy even for me.   Here are my reviews of the original movie and sequel, along with some thoughts on Season One.  (Takeaway: I love Maeve, Bernard is sad, Yul Brynner is cool, Blythe Danner is Gwynneth's mom, Wizard of Oz/Blade Runner metaphors, and Anthony Hopkins is consistently stellar).

Where Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong, or Thoughts on Westworld (1973) 
These Violent Delights, or Thoughts on Westworld Season 1 (2016) 
A Deep and Dreamless Slumber, or More Thoughts on Westworld Season 1 (now with spoilers)
Now That You've Seen Westworld, Let's Watch Futureworld (1976) 





my first novel?  thanks for asking:)  it’s a the first book in a 4-volume supernatural martial arts series chock full of killer kung-fu witches, haunted carnivals, punk rock assassins, and a 24-hour diner with the best pie in town…
read for free on kindle unlimited or buy the paperback, available at fine bookstores everywhere (amazon).